Makes 6 servings
- 12 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thighs, or a combination
- 1 pouch (8 ounces) Frontera Red Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 1 ½ cups Salpica Chipotle Black Bean Dip or crushed canned black beans
- 1 small red onion, finely diced, rinsed
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, thinned with milk if necessary
- 2 or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 or 3 tablespoons crumbled Mexican cotija or romano cheese, optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lay tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet. Pierce each tortilla lightly with a fork (this helps prevent puffing). Brush both sides of tortillas with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake, turning once, until thoroughly crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Slice chicken into scant ¼-inch wide slices. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of the chicken in single, uncrowded layer. Cook over high heat, turning once, until golden on both sides. Remove to a plate and repeat to brown the rest of the chicken. Return all chicken to the pan, add the sauce and warm gently. Season with salt to taste.
- To assemble each tostada, spread each crisp tortilla with a thin layer of black beans, then top with a few chicken pieces and some diced onion. Drizzle with sour cream. Sprinkle with cilantro and cheese. Serve immediately.