Serves 4 to 6
- 1 ½ pounds lean, boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- ½ cup Negra Modelo Beer
- 1 pound (about 5 medium) red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- 1 large white onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with their juices (preferably fire-roasted)
- 1 cup Frontera Chipotle Salsa
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco or farmers cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, flesh scooped from skin and diced
- Warm corn tortillas
- Pat pork dry with paper toweling. Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet until hot. Add the pork in a single, uncrowded layer. Cook, turning until brown on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove pork to a plate as it browns. Pour Negra Modelo into pan and boil gently while scraping up all the browned bits from the pan.
- Put browned pork and pan juices into a slow-cooker. Add the potatoes.
- Combine the onion, tomatoes, salsa, Worcestershire and ½ teaspoon salt in large bowl. Mix well. Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Cook for 6 hours at the highest temperature. After 6 hours, gently stir the tinga. If it seems really thick, add a little water. Taste and season with salt.
- Serve the pork tinga in a large bowl, sprinkled with fresh cheese and diced avocado. Pass warm tortillas for making tacos.