Makes 50 to 60 mushrooms
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Frontera Spanish Olive Salsa or Frontera Jalapeno Cilantro salsa
- ½ cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco or farmer’s cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup panko-style bread crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 50 to 60 medium-sized button or cremini mushrooms, about 2 pounds
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook pork in 1 Tablespoon of the oil until nicely browned and cooked through. Season the pork with the salt and ground pepper. Stir in salsa and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes. Cool completely.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Stir the cheese, egg yolks, panko and cilantro into the cooled pork mixture.
- Remove the stems from all of the mushrooms. Toss the mushroom caps in remaining 1 TB of olive oil and a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Place the mushroom caps on a baking sheet, stem side up.
- Using a small spoon, fill the mushroom caps with pork mixture. Bake until heated all the way through and lightly browned on top. Serve hot.