Makes 10-12 Sliders
- 1 pound of trimmed Skirt Steak
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly and rinsed
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 10-12 small rolls, such as Pepperidge Farms Slider buns or any brand of dinner rolls or in a pinch, cut 5 or 6 hot dog buns in half
- Cut the skirt steak into 3 - 4 inch portions. Combine all of the steak marinade ingredients in a zippered bag and add the steak to marinade. Seal the bag, massage the marinade into the meat pieces and place in for fridge for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prep the pickled red onions by bringing a medium size pot of water to a simmer. While simmering, add the thinly sliced red onion and let sit for about 20-30 seconds. Immediately pour the onions into a strainer and rinse with cold water until cooled. Combine the onions, ¼ cup lime juice and ½ tsp salt in a container with a lid on. Shake the onions up in the closed container to disperse the lime juice and salt over all the onions. Refrigerate until you are ready to assemble the sliders, they will turn a beautiful bright pink color.
- Combine all salsa mayo ingredients well. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the sliders.
- Remove the marinated steak from the bag, dispose of the marinade and dry the pieces of steak by blotting with a paper towel. Heat a grill or grill pan on medium-high heat and lightly oil the grates. Grill the steak pieces to medium rare, about 3-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of each piece. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing. Slice into strips about ¼ thick.
- To assemble sliders, first toast buns slightly on grill or in grill pan. Spread about a teaspoon of the salsa mayo on the bottom of the toasted bun. Top with a few slices of steak, then some pickled onions and arugula. Top the sandwich with the top of the toasted bun, repeat assembly with all the remaining buns and serve.