- 2 pounds ground beef, pork, or mixture of both
- 1 cup panko-style breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tsp. salt
- ½ Tsp. Mexican oregano
- ½ Tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 jar of Frontera Chipotle Salsa
- 1 bottle of Negra Modelo
- 1-20 ounce can of tomato puree
- 2 Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 6-8 telera or bolillo rolls
- pureed black beans
- chopped cilantro
- Queso anejo or queso fresco cheese
- Mix the ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, cilantro, mint, salt, oregano and black pepper together in a large bowl until well incorporated. Form meat mixture into balls, about 1 ½” - 2".
- Bake the meatballs at 400 on 2 foil lined baking sheets until nice and brown and fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
- Combine the salsa, beer, tomato puree, dark brown sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a slow cooker and turn on low. Add in all the meatballs. Once hot, the meatballs are ready to serve and can be held in the slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours.
- Hollow out some of the interior of the bread with your fingertips. Generously spread both cut sides of the bread with the pureed black beans.
- Evenly spread meatballs and sauce across one half of bread.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and cheese.
- Place the top half of the bread in place and press to compact the sandwich.