Serves 6 as a light appetizer
- 3 strips thick-sliced bacon
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 serranos or 1 large jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
- ¼ cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Negra Modelo Beer
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- ¼ chopped cilantro
- Warm corn or flour tortillas or tortilla chips
- Frontera Jalapeño Cilantro Salsa for topping
- Heat the oil in an 8-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 6-8 minutes or until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon and pour off most of the fat, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan. Once the bacon has cooled, crumble and set aside for garnish. Raise the heat to medium-high and add the onions. Saute for about 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the chiles and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for about 1 minute, or until the chile is softened. Pour in the beer and stir until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is somewhat dry looking.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, sprinkle the cheese evenly over the vegetables and stir slowly and constantly until just melted. Immediately scoop into a warm serving dish and sprinkle on the crumbled bacon and chopped cilantro. Serve in warm tortillas or on tortilla chips topped with salsa.