Makes 8 to 10 mini sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 pound medium-size raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ of one lime
- Salt to taste
- About 1 cup Easy Black Bean Spread, see recipe
- 8 to 10 slider buns or small dinner rolls, cut in half
- 1 ripe avocado, cut in half, pitted, peeled, thinly sliced
- Sliced bottled pickled jalapeños (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 10 or 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook about 30 seconds. Remove to a plate.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining oil to the same pan over medium-high heat. Add ½ of the shrimp. Cook and stir until opaque, about 2 minutes. Remove to plate. Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp. Mix all shrimp, onion mixture, lime juice and salt to taste in pan. Remove from heat.
- Spread a thin layer of black bean spread on the bottoms of the buns. Top the black beans with shrimp and onion mixture (approximately 3-4 shrimp on each slider). Top with avocado slices and pickled jalapeno slices. Put the top of the bun in place. Secure with a long wooden pick or skewer. Serve.