Makes 12 servings
For the Chicken:
For the Torta:
2 hearty country Italian loaves cut crosswise in half
1 cup Salpica Chipotle Black Bean Dip
3/4 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups shredded Chihuahua cheese
1/2 cup thinly sliced pickled jalapenos
1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- Season the chicken tenders with ½ teaspoon salt. Mix flour and ½ teaspoon salt on a deep plate. Mix eggs, 3 tablespoons water and ½ teaspoon salt in a shallow dish; beat with a fork until completely liquid.
- Crush the bag of tortilla chips to about ¼ inch pieces by opening the bag slightly and pounding gently with the palm of your hand. Spread the tortilla chip crumbs on a third plate.
- Dredge a chicken tender in flour mixture, then coat with the egg mixture. Transfer to plate of tortilla chips and turn to coat chicken well with crushed chips. Transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Continue with all of the chicken tenders. Refrigerate uncovered for 1 to 6 hours to let coating set.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Bake chicken until nicely browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, hollow out bread loaves a little. Spread bottom of each loaf of bread with half of the black bean spread. Mix mayonnaise and cilantro in small bowl, then spread over the inside of the bread tops.
- Reduce oven to 375. Arrange the hot chicken tenders on the bottom of the bread. Top with shredded cheese. Put the tops on the sandwiches. Bake wrapped in foil until heated, about 10 minutes.
- Open sandwich, add pickled jalapenos and sliced avocados. Close sandwich. Serve in wedges with Tomatillo Salsa for guests to add to their liking.