- 4 thick slices smoked bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups rice, preferably medium grain
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) Frontera Roasted Tomato Salsa or Frontera Red Pepper & Garlic Salsa
- 1 ½ cups hot chicken broth
- 4 green onions, sliced crosswise into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 pound medium-large (about 24) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a 3-quart oven-proof saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring, until crispy and brown, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon leaving 1 tablespoon fat. Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the salsa and continue to stir for 1 minute, then add the broth or water, ¼ teaspoon salt and the green onions. Bring to a boil, stir once, cover tightly and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Uncover and lay the shrimp on top of the rice mixture, re-cover and bake until the shrimp is opaque, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the cilantro and crispy bacon, mix everything thoroughly with a fork, and serve.