- About 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups (about 6 ounces) sliced mushrooms (no stems), preferably shiitakes
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 bag frozen spinach, thawed and pressed into a colander to remove most of the water
- Salt to taste
- 15 corn tortillas, each about 5 inches in diameter, cut in half
- 5 cups (2 1/2 jars) Frontera Chipotle or Roasted Tomato Salsa
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add the mushrooms and cook until just tender, 3 minutes. Add the corn and spinach and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove mixture from the heat and season well with salt.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 13 x 9 baking dish. In a large bowl, mix the salsa with the cream. Set aside 1 cup of the salsa/cream mixture. To the rest of the mixture, add the vegetables.
- Pour ½ cup salsa/cream mixture (without the vegetables) on the bottom of the casserole, making sure to coat the bottom entirely. Layer 10 tortilla halves, overlapping, to completely cover the bottom. Top tortillas with ½ of the salsa mixture with vegetables, then 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Top with another layer of tortilla halves. Spread the tortillas with the ricotta cheese, then add the remaining portion of salsa mixture with vegetables in an even layer. Top with another cup of shredded cheese. Add the third and last layer of tortilla halves, then the remaining ½ cup of salsa/cream, making sure to moisten all of the exposed tortillas. Top with the last 1 cup of cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until bubbling and lightly browned. Let stand for a few minutes, then sprinkle with cilantro and cut into squares to serve. Alternatively, chill thoroughly then cut into squares when cold, and reheat as desired.