Serves 4 as an appetizer
- A little vegetable or olive oil
- 4 flour tortillas
- ½ cup thinly sliced mushroom caps
- 1/3 cup roughly crumbled fresh goat cheese
- ½ to ¾ cup shredded Mexican Chihuahua cheese, brick or Monterey Jack
- ¼ cup sliced pitted olives (preferably kalamata or an oil-cured variety)
- About ½ cup of any flavor Frontera salsa, such as Roasted Tomato
- 2 cups rinsed and dried mixed salad greens
- About 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or good-tasting vinegar
- A little salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet and spread out the tortillas in a single layer on it. Distribute a portion of the mushrooms over each one, then the cheeses and olives. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of salsa over each “quesadilla,” then set the baking sheet in the oven. In 5 or 6 minutes, the tortilla should be crispy underneath and the cheese melted. Remove from the oven.
- While the quesadillas are baking, in a medium-size bowl, toss the salad greens with the lime juice or vinegar, the salt and the cilantro. Transfer each quesadilla to a warm plate, then top with a portion of lettuce right in the center. Serve without delay.