Makes 2 quarts, serving 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium-size butternut squash, about 3 pounds, halved, seeded, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 7 or 8 cups or 32 ounces)
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Frontera Roasted Tomato Salsa (or Frontera Chipotle Pumpkin Salsa)
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Mexican cream or sour cream thinned with a little milk
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups popped popcorn, salty or sweet
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add diced butternut squash and sauté until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in broth and salsa. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partly covered and stirring occasionally until squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender (or work in small batches in a blender) to puree soup to a creamy consistency. Thin soup with additional broth or water if needed to reach the consistency of heavy cream. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve in soup bowls garnished with a drizzle of cream and a sprinkling of cilantro and popcorn.