Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 quart chicken broth, store-bought or homemade
- 1 cup Frontera Roasted Tomato Salsa, pureed smooth if desired
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 ounces angel hair pasta (or angel hair fideos), broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium-size zucchini or chayote squash (or 1 of each), cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 small white onion, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime wedges for serving
- Put chicken broth and salsa into a large saucepan. Add salt and heat to simmer over low.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the broken pasta. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to same skillet if necessary. Add zucchini, chayote, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add vegetables to simmering broth.
- Just before serving, add pasta to the broth. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Portion soup into bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with a lime wedge