Serves 12 to 14
- 5 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 3 ½ pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 3 large red onions, grilled and diced
- 8 cloves garlic, roasted and minced
- ¾ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 jars (16 ounces each) Frontera Guajillo Salsa or Frontera Chipotle Salsa
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups white runner beans, cooked
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark beer, such as Bohemia
- ½ cup masa harina dissolved in 1 cup water
- Garnishes: Crumbled queso anjeo, crumbled queso fresco, sour cream, chopped onion and chopped cilantro
- Light a charcoal grill and lightly oil grates. Grill pork shoulder and beef short ribs on all sides until browned.
- Place a well-oiled, large, heavy Dutch oven over medium heat and add seared meats. Add onions, garlic, oregano and cumin. Pour in salsa. Simmer, partially covered and stirring often, until meats are tender and falling apart, about 2 to 2 ½ hours.
- Stir in cooked beans, beer and dissolved masa. Simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with garnishes.