- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained, rinsed
- 1 sprig fresh epazote or 4 sprigs cilantro
- ½ teaspoon EACH: dried marjoram and thyme
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Frontera Chipotle Hot Sauce, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, diced
- 1 large lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Place a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat and add the oil, onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, garbanzo beans, epazote (or cilantro) and dried herbs. Partially cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt.
- Just before serving, stir the cooked chicken and hot sauce to taste into the soup; heat through. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with diced avocado and serve accompanied by wedges of lime and additional Frontera Chipotle Hot Sauce.
Variation: For a meatless version, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and use 2 cups cooked or roasted vegetables instead of the cooked chicken.