- 1 butternut squash, halved, seeded, peeled (or substitute 6 cups large chunks peeled butternut)
- 3 or 4 tablespoons safflower oil or expeller pressed canola oil
- 1 jar (5 ounces) Frontera Chipotle Hot Sauce
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Grated zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- About ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
Preheat oven to 350. If using a butternut squash, cut the skinny neck portion from the bulbous portion. Cut each in half and remove the seeds. Peel, then cut into ¼-inch thick slices. Place slices (or cubes) on an oiled baking sheet in a single, uncrowded layer. Use 1 or 2 tablespoons oil to brush squash with oil on all sides. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake until almost tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Brush squash with some of the Hot Sauce. Return squash to oven and cook until tender not mushy, about 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet on high; add 2 tablespoons of the oil and then onion slices. Sauté until golden, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add honey, lime zest, lime juice and pepper flakes. Season with salt.
To serve, arrange squash on warm platter. Top with red onion mixture, then crumbled goat cheese and pumpkin seeds. Serve hot.