Serves 6 to 8 as an accompaniment
- 3 pounds (about 5 small) sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Frontera Chipotle Garlic Taco Skillet Sauce or Frontera Guajillo Salsa
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped orange zest (orange rind only), plus some thinly-slivered zest for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground cinnamon, preferably Mexican (Ceylon) cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- A few tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 or 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream thinned with a little milk, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Slice each of the sweet potatoes into 4 lengthwise wedges. Lightly butter or oil a 13x9-inch baking dish, and lay in the sweet potatoes in a single layer. Combine the sauce with the orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon and honey. Taste and season with salt (it should taste salty, since this is the seasoning for the potatoes). Spoon evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the potatoes are almost fork-tender, about 45 minutes.
- Raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees, uncover the potatoes, baste with the juices and bake until the potatoes are nicely glazed and the sauce reduced to a medium-thickness, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with slivers of orange zest, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of cream if you wish, and it’s ready to serve.