Serves 4 to 6
- 1/2 pound dried black beans, rinsed
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ of a small white onion, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons Frontera Chipotle Hot Sauce to taste
- Crumbled queso fresco or salted farmer’s cheese, optional for serving
- Put black beans into a medium-large (3-quart) saucepan. Add 1 ½ quarts water, bacon and onion. Heat to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, partly covered, adding water as needed to keep the liquid level roughly the same, until the beans are tender, 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Stir in salt and hot sauce and simmer 15 minutes longer. Serve in small bowls with a sprinkling of cheese.