- 4 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 pounds rutabagas
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Roast the garlic cloves in their skins a small dry skillet over medium heat until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool, then slip off the skins and finely chop.
- Peel the rutabagas and potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks. Put into a large pot of salted water. Heat to a boil and simmer until very tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Mash in the milk, sour cream, chopped garlic, salt and pepper until nearly smooth. (We like it a little chunky.)
- Stir in cilantro and season as need with more salt and pepper. Serve.