Serves 6 to 8
- 1 poblano chile
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 ¼ cups cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon each: baking soda, salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Roast poblano and jalapeno over a gas flame, turning often, until skin is blackened on all sides. Wrap in a towel and let cool. Peel, cut into half, remove seeds and core. Cut poblano into ¼-inch diced. Finely chop the jalapeno.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Generously grease a 9 by 9-inch baking pan.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix eggs, milk and buttermilk in small bowl. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Gently fold in melt butter, poblano, jalapeno and cheese. Do not over mix.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.