Makes about 6 cups
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo or chipotle hot sauce
- 2 navel oranges
- About 1 1/2 cups finely diced peeled jícama or cucumber
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 ripe large Avocados from Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled, diced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix dried cranberries, orange juice and adobo sauce in a large bowl. Let stand for 20 or 30 minutes.
- Using a small knife, cut the peel from the oranges. Cut sections (supremes) from the oranges by cutting between the white membranes to release segments with no white pith or membrane. Cut each segment into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Add orange pieces, jícama, onion, fresh cranberries, vinegar and salt to dried cranberry mixture. Refrigerate covered for several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, add avocados and cilantro. Mix gently. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.