Makes 4 servings
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons each: plain Greek yogurt, white wine vinegar, olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 4 heads Belgian endive, separated into leaves, rinsed, patted dry
- 2 medium-size ripe Bartlett pears, halved, cored, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco or ricotta salata
- ¼ cup toasted salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Fresh pomegranate seeds
- 2 or 4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- For dressing, mash the garlic and salt together into a paste in a mortar and pestle or on a cutting board using the flat side of a knife. Place in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add buttermilk, Greek yogurt and vinegar. Whisk together and let sit for 5 minutes or so. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, then the herbs. Refrigerate covered up to 2 days.
- Toss Belgian endive leaves and sliced pears in large bowl. Drizzle with buttermilk dressing. Toss to mix. Sprinkle with cheese, pepitas, pomegranate seeds and cilantro. Serve.