Makes 6 servings
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces Mexican queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup small fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- Cut off the ends off the top and bottom of the melon. Stand the melon on one of the flat ends and use a large knife to remove all the remaining rind. Cut the flesh into 1 ½ inch chunks. Put into a large bowl and refrigerate.
- Rinse the onion under cool running water in a mesh strainer for a couple of minutes. Drain well.
- Mix oil, lime juice and salt in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- In a large bowl, combine the melon and onion. Pour the dressing over the melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with leaves.