- 6 cups torn or sliced romaine and arugula greens, mixed
Dressing: (Makes about 3/4 cup)
- 3 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, about 1/2 teaspoon
- The garlic: Roast the garlic on a griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally until blackened in spots and soft, about 15 minutes. Cool, then slip off the skin.
- The dressing: Combine the garlic and the rest of the ingredients in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Taste for salt. Serve at room temperature.
- Toss the romaine and arugula in a large bowl with enough of the dressing to coat it lightly. Serve immediately.