Serves 6 to 8
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 medium (1 ½ pounds total) chayote
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion, well rinsed
- Chopped cilantro
- Put garlic cloves (still in their peel) in a small skillet set over medium heat. Cook, turning frequently, until soft and browned in spots, about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, peel the chayote, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the pit. Cut the chayote into ½-inch pieces. Put into a microwave-safe bowl and sprinkle with salt. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and poke a couple of holes in the top. Microwave on high (100 % power) until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cool.
- Peel the garlic and put into the blender with the machine running to chop it finely. Add oil and vinegar and process until smooth. Add salt to taste, usually ½ teaspoon.
- Drain off any liquid that has accumulated under the chayote. Stir in the tomatoes and onion. Pour some of the dressing over the salad and mix well. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Season with salt. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.