We like to smother our burgers in these delicious onions. The onions can be made a day or two in advance; reheat them just before serving. Bacon on a burger is optional, but always welcome.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large (10 ounces) white onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ cup Negra Modelo beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pouch (8 ounces) Frontera Texas Original Taco Skillet Sauce
- 4 raw beef sirloin burger patties, each about ½ pound
- 4 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split, lightly toasted
- 4 thick tomato slices
- 4 sliced cooked bacon, optional
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring until soft and golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in sugar and cook until onions are nicely caramelized, about 5 minutes. Stir in beer and Worcestershire; heat to a boil. Stir in Sauce pouch and heat through. Season with salt. Remove from heat.
- Prepare a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Grill burgers directly over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Flip and grill until medium-rare, about 3 minutes more. Top each burger with a slice of cheese during the last minute of cooking.
- Serve on toasted buns topped with a couple of spoonsful of the onions, a tomato slice and a slice of bacon if using.