Makes 6 Burgers
- 2 pounds ground bison or ground beef sirloin
- 1 pouch (8 ounces) Frontera Texas Original Taco Skillet Sauce or Frontera Chipotle Garlic Taco Skillet Sauce
- ½ cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large (10 ounces) red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar or agave syrup
- ¼ cup Negra Modelo beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 6 hamburger buns, split, lightly toasted
- 6 thick tomato slices
- Baby arugula leaves or baby spinach
- Put ground bison, 1/2 of the Frontera Sauce pouch, cilantro and ½ teaspoon salt in large bowl. Use clean hands to gently mix, then shape into 6 burgers each about 3/4-inch thick. Refrigerate covered 30 minutes or up to several hours.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and cook until onion is nicely caramelized, 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in beer and Worcestershire; heat to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ½ of the Sauce pouch, then season with salt.
- Prepare a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Grill burgers directly over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Flip and grill until medium-rare, about 3 minutes more. Top each burger with a slice of cheese during the last minute of cooking.
- Serve on toasted buns topped with a couple of spoonsful of the onions, a tomato slice and a tuft of arugula.