|Low & Slow Brisket Barbacoa||| Print ||
Makes 8 Servings
1. Season brisket generously with salt. Refrigerate for several hours if time allows.
2. Preheat oven to 300°. Heat oil in the bottom of a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. Add brisket; cook, over medium-high heat, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
3. Stir Barbacoa Sauce, 2 cups into water and sliced onion into pan. Heat liquid to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Nestle the brisket into the pan. Top the brisket with the bacon slices. Cover the pan tightly (use foil under the lid to ensure a tight seal). Cook in oven until fork tender, about 3 hours. (Recipe can be prepared to this point 2 days in advance; refrigerate covered and reheat gently before serving).
4. Remove brisket and bacon to a cutting board. Cover loosely with foil. Boil pan juices with onions over medium-high until reduced to a thin sauce.
5. Slice brisket and bacon thinly across the grain. Arrange on a platter and sprinkle with salt. Spoon the pan juices over all. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with warm tortillas.