Serves 4 to 6
- 3 ounces slab bacon, cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces chopped white onion
- 3 pounds bone-in pork country ribs, trimmed
- Salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- 16 ounces Frontera Tomatillo Salsa
- 2 cups drained, cooked, seasoned small white beans
- Garlicky white rice for serving
Note: Ribs can be cooked as directed in step 3 in a covered enameled cast-iron pot in a 325 degree oven until tender, about 2 hours.
- Cook bacon and onion in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often until bacon is nicely browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to a slow cooker.
- Season country ribs generously with salt and pepper. Brown ribs in a single, uncrowded layer in the bacon fat until nicely browned on all sides. As they are browned add them o the slow-cooker.
- Add 16 ounces salsa to the cooker. Cover and simmer on high (4 to 6 hours), or low (about 8 hours). Add 2 cups cooked small white beans during the last 30 minutes. Skim fat if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt.