- 2 medium white onions, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 boneless strip or ribeye steaks, each about 6 ounces, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) Frontera Chipotle Salsa
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream, to taste
- ¼ to 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- Fresh lime wedges, for serving
- Puree ¼ of the onion, the garlic, lime juice, cumin and ½ teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth. Place the steaks in a zippered bag. Add the lime juice mixture. Close the bag and shake to coat the steak. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet; add remaining onions. Cook and stir until onions are golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in salsa and cook until salsa thickens. Stir in cream to taste. Heat to a simmer, then season with salt; keep warm while you grill the steaks.
- Heat a gas grill to medium-high or light a charcoal fire. Remove the steaks from the marinade. Oil the steaks well on both sides, and lay over the hottest part of the grill. Grill, turning once, until richly browned and done to your liking, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve the steaks topped with the chipotle onions. Garnish with crumbled blue cheese and lime wedges.