Turn your countertop into a burger “bar” by setting out platters of grilled burgers, toasted buns and a variety of toppings. Then let guests build their own burgers to suit.
Bypass the standard ketchup and mustard toppings. For these salsa-flavored burgers, we suggest Frontera Tangy Green Guacamole, Easy Rajas, extra salsa, mayonnaise seasoned with your favorite hot sauce, sliced Chihuahua cheese, roasted red pepper strips and sautéed mushrooms and onions.
Makes 8 burgers
- 2 ¼ to 2 ½ pounds of good-quality ground beef
- 1 cup Frontera Salsa Mexicana (Medium)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 hearty hamburger buns (we like brioche buns here), split, toasted
- Assorted burger toppings (see notes above)
- Gently mix ground beef, salsa, egg, cilantro, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Shape into 8 burgers and place on a plate or baking sheet. Refrigerate covered while you heat the grill (or up to several hours).
- Prepare a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium high. Grill burgers over medium-high heat, turning once, until medium-rare, about 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the cut sides of the buns on the cooler side of the grill.
- Serve on toasted buns with assorted toppings for guests to create their own burgers.