Makes about 4 cups
- 1 large cucumber (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded, roughly chopped
- 3 limes, using both zest (about 1 ½ teaspoons, minced) and juice (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped mint, plus extra leaves for garnish
- Tequila (optional)
- Put cucumber, lime zest and juice, sugar, mint and 1 cup of water into a food processor. Process to a smooth puree, then press through a strainer into a stainless steel bowl or 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Freeze for 1 hour. Using a fork, scrape at the ice to fluff up the crystals that have begun to form.· Repeat this every hour for 2 more hours (a total of 3 times).· You should have light fluffy ice crystals after 3 hours.
- To serve, scoop some of the ice into a margarita glass and drizzle about 1 tablespoon of tequila over the top, if using.· Serve, garnished with mint leaves.