Makes about 4 cups
- 4 large (2 1/4 pounds total) mangoes, peeled, fruit cut away from the pit and coarsely chopped (you need about 2 heaping cups)
- The finely chopped zest (colored rind only) of 1 orange
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Put mangoes, orange zest, sugar, lime juice and 1 cup of water in a food processor. Process to a smooth puree, then press through a strainer into a stainless steel bowl or 9x9-inch pan. Freeze until the mixture is firm 2 inches in from the sides, about 2 hours.
- Whip with an immersion blender or scrape into a food processor and process until slushy. Repeat the freezing and beating 2 more times, then freeze at least 1 hour before serving.
- It is best to eat the ice within a day, because it will become progressively more icy. If the finished ice has been in the freezer for several hours, soften it in the refrigerator for half an hour before serving.