Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 quart (32 ounces) best-quality apple cider, preferably form your local farmer’s market
- ¼ cup evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons bottled Mexican cajeta or other bottled caramel sauce
- Combine cider, sugar, lime juice and cajeta in a bowl. Whisk together until the sugar and cajeta dissolve (the cajeta may not dissolve all the way).
- Pour the mixture into an 11- by 7-inch baking dish and place level in the freezer. Every 30 minutes, scrape the ice mixture with a fork, breaking up any lumps, until all the liquid is frozen into little shavings. This should take about 3 hours, then cover the container and freeze up to a week or so.
- To serve, scrape with a fork into chilled bowls. Garnish with thinly sliced fresh apple.