Serves 6 to 8
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 4 ounces powdered sugar, sifted (1 1/4 cups after sifting)
- 2 to 3 large ripe kiwi fruit
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1/2 pint black raspberries or black berries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup crème fraiche or sour cream, stirred
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- For meringues, heat oven to 250 degrees. Lightly oil 2 cookie sheets and then dust with flour; shake off excess flour. Beat egg whites and powdered sugar in large bowl of electric mixer until the mixture holds stiff peaks, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon 6 to 8 large dollops (use a wet ice cream scoop) of the meringue onto the baking sheets and then use the back of the spoon to indent the center of each meringue to make a nest shape. Bake until crisp and lightly golden, about 1 1/2 hours. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
- For fruit “salsa,” use a sharp pairing knife to peel the kiwi. Cut crosswise into thin slices, cut the slices in half. Mix the kiwi slices, berries and sugar in a small bowl and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or up to a couple of hours.
- To assemble, put one meringue onto each plate. Top with about 2 tablespoons of the crème fraiche or sour cream. Top each with about ½ cup of the fruit “salsa.” Garnish with mint sprigs and serve immediately.